Then & Now - City Hall & Esplanade
Located on what is now the esplanade, facing High Street, at the corner of Fountain Avenue, it was also called the City Market House. It had a hall for public meetings, but Whiteley's machine shops were so close, it drowned out anyone trying to speak. Below is Springfield's first City Hall, built in 1848.
The property of the current City Hall has been occupied by numerous businesses over the years. 1920 - Neal Signs. 1930 - vacant. 1940 - Charters-Patterson. 1950 - Sherman Shops Mode-O-Day ... Charters-Patterson. 1960 - Thornton's Clothes. 1970 - Mode-O-Day, Frock Shop. Below is the esplanade area from around the 1940's.
Below is the esplanade area in 2006.
|site search by freefind||advanced|
Battle of Piqua
Early Clark County
George Rogers Clark
Education in Clark County
Indians in Clark County
The National Road
Springfield in 1852
Springfield in 1863
SHS 1951 Yearbook
Then & Now