Springfield in 1852
From Directory of the City of Springfield
John W. Kees & Co., Springfield. 1852
MAD RIVER VALLEY BRANCH of the State bank, north side of Main street, between Limestone and Market streets. Capital, $100,000, all paid in. Levi Rinehart, president; J.T. Claypole, cashier. Commenced operations Jan. 1847.
THE SPRINGFIELD BANK — Limestone street, near corner of Main and Limestone streets. Oliver Clark, president; W. T. McMeans, cashier. This bank was organized under the new banking law, and commenced operations June, 1851.
LITTLE MIAMI RAILROAD, connecting Springfield with Xenia, Spring Valley, Foster's Crossings, and Cincinnati. Whole distance, eighty-four miles. Completed August 12, 1846, enters the city on Jefferson street. Office, south end of Limestone street. Wm. Wright, agent.
MAD RIVER & LAKE ERIE RAILROAD, connecting Springfield with Sandusky city, and the lakes. Whole distance, one hundred and thirty-four miles. Completed September 2, 1848. Enters the eastern part of the city. Office, south end of Washington street. J.B. Norris, agent.
SPRINGFIELD & DAYTON RAILROAD, and connecting Springfield with the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railroad — a continuation of the Mad River & Lake Erie railroad, to Dayton. Whole distance, twenty-five miles. Completed January 21, 1851. Enters the city on Washington street. Office, depot of the Mad River and Lake Erie railroad.
SPRINGFIELD & PITTSBURGH RAILROAD — chartered in 1851. Connects Springfield with Marysville, Delaware, Mt. Vernon and Pittsburgh. Under contract from Springfield to Marysville. Enters the eastern part of the city. Charles Anthony, president, and H.B. Wilson, secretary. Office, in Anthony's building, corner of Main and Market streets.
SPRINGFIELD & LONDON RAILROAD — chartered in 1848. Connects Springfield with London, Madison county, and there with the Columbus & Xenia railroad. Whole distance, eighteen miles — all under contract. Enters the southeastern portion of the city. Present office, Limestone street, over the Springfield bank. Officers are, William Whiteley, president, E.G. Dial, secretary.
The National road was completed in Springfield, in 1839. There are also two good pike roads leading to Dayton, one through Enon and Fairfield; the other, called the Valley pike, through Medway. Besides, the Clark and Miami turnpike, connecting Springfield with Troy, whole distance, twenty-one miles; nearly completed; and the Clark and Union turnpike, chartered in 1847, connecting Springfield with Mechanicsburg and Marysville, finished to the former place. There has also been charters granted for a turnpike leading from Springfield to New Carlisle and Troy, and from Selma to Springfield.
SPRINGFIELD GAS AND COKE COMPANY
Chartered March 8, 1849 — organized September 19, 1849. Capital about $5,000. Present officers, Charles Anthony, president; Jas. S. Goode, secretary. Board of Directors, Charles Anthony, Wm. Foos, Peter Murray, T.J. Kindlebarger and Joshua Gore. The city was first lit with gas on the eve of April 4, 1850.
POPULATION OF SPRINGFIELD
In 1828 was 935 persons.
In 1830 was 1080 persons.
In 1840 was 2094 persons.
In 1850 was 5109 persons.
In 1852 was 5567 persons.
Battle of Piqua
Early Clark County
George Rogers Clark
Education in Clark County
Indians in Clark County
The National Road
Springfield in 1852
Springfield in 1863
SHS 1951 Yearbook
Then & Now